Friday, December 28, 2012

Overanalyzing pt. 3956


One of the most fascinating and telling qualities of someone is how often and how intensely they make eye contact when having a conversation. There are so many benefits to truly looking at someone straight into their eyes when you're speaking to them. Yet it seems to scare the shit out of so many people.

I try not to overanalyze people by how they react to eye contact, but it happens without my consent. There is a distinct different between being someone who doesn't make a lot of eye contact, themselves, and someone who is uncomfortable when the other person has their eyes on you.

It can often give you away when your words protect you. Your words are saying "I am confident, I know who I am and what I'm saying, and I am choosing every word skillfully and careful." Yet as I watch you explain your family and what they mean to you, I notice your eyes hit the ground and focus on that one spot by your foot; while you were too busy learning every crevice of your hard wood floor, I had the wonderful opportunity to notice your mouth tense up when you say her name.

No comments: